Custom details add character and dollars. Follow these cost-cutting tips to give your home character without exceeding your remodeling budget.
1) Add crown molding to any room to add more character. If you DIY, you can save!
2) Use ceramic tile for your kitchen, bathroom or fireplace. There are so many places these days to get custom tile which can really add to a room. Mix ceramic tiles with a few more expensive tiles to create a custom look at a lower cost.
3) Vary lighting fixtures. Choose pricier eye-catching fixtures to light one or two main areas, but opt for good off-the-shelf fixtures elsewhere.
4) Change your cabinetry and appliances. Select midrange cabinetry instead of top-of-the-line cabinets. Spend the savings on appliances with higher appeal.
5) Color is a designer’s cheapest and most powerful element. Add color with paint, tile, or hardware.
6) Create multi-functional spaces. Open shelves in the kitchen work perfectly for storage and display. This technique also works well in a small space because the openness keeps the room from feeling cramped.
7) Instead of buying expensive brackets to support kitchen fixtures, buy plain brackets and embellish them yourself.
8) Enhance the woodwork. Architectural woodwork not only adds character, it disguises imperfections in old walls. Use simple woodwork, such as beaded-board paneling and corner rosettes, to dress up walls.
Posted by: Sheri Negri